Wednesday 18 April 2018

COD WW2 - Post Patch thoughts!


Hello everyone and welcome to the Love of Gaming blog, it's been a little bit quiet here but that's due to the Easter Holidays that have just past. Now we're back up and running and I did get a chance to spend around 5 to 6 hours with Call of Duty WW2 since the new update, last Tuesday. 
I have to say, it was an impressive and exhaustive list of tweaks. There have been quite a few alterations since I last played in January... I think, so I'm finding myself in what I often call the "sweet spot" when it comes to a COD multiplayer. Most of the balances and changes have been made bettering the game over it's launch version, but before the tweaks go too mad and start nerfing guns all over the place in what a COD multiplayer normally becomes; "balance hell".

Anywho, I have to say it's been a blast playing WW2 these past few days, the game has had a second wind, this patch has rejuvenated this game for me. Whilst the maps are still not my cup of proverbial tea, the enhancements to weapon handling and movement make navigating maps like Marie Saint Du Mont far more easy. Unlimited sprint it seems, makes all the difference. 
Below I'm going to give a short rundown of the features that I feel have done WW2 a whole world of good:

Shotguns are a viable main
The shotgun revival is here, I haven't enjoyed using a shotgun this much since MW2! At launch it was all about the combat shotgun, it outshone everything else (unless you knew how to handle the Luftwaffe drilling). But now they've all been tweaked and you have far more bang for your buck, literally. The range boost to the two shot kill range is a big help, a lot of time it felt as though if you didn't get the one shot kill, you were dead. 
The Toggle action is still the worst of the bunch, apparently it has a one shot kill range but it's unreliable on average it's two to three shots and the range is still poor and the fire rate not enough to compete with SMGs in the Shotgun ranges.

Unlimited sprint ups player engagement in a positive way
I thought it was a step back when they capped sprinting, I know they wanted to make WW2 feel more like the older, slower COD games but the reality of it is, we like to move fast, we like to get into the fight quicker and quicker but we also don't want to spawning on each other's backs. Unlimited sprint is the great enabler and I'm glad it's back. 

Divisions account to playstyle
This was a no brainer in the first place. Locking weapon perks to each division was a bad idea especially in the case of Shotguns and Sniper rifles, whose sharpshooter and incendiary abilities are kind of essential parts of their repertoire. Sure, the incendiary shells are locked in as an attachment but they're such a useful damage modifier.
Now you can equip all the weapons and keep their once division locked attachment/trait regardless of which division you're in. The freed up slot has been filled and now each division caters to a playstyle rather than a weapon of choice. Airborne is all about mobility, mountaineer is now a stealth class and you can now obtain maximum stealth ability.
With this division update, it seems crazy we had it any other way. The divisions and by extension, the loadout options felt confused and misdirected. Now we have focus and it's improved and extended the level of playability the game has to offer.


Launchers can be equipped to all classes
Who actually, genuinely thought it was a good idea to make players sacrifice a basic training skill to equip a launcher? You almost never ever saw launchers, coupled with the fact that it's very difficult to shoot down most of the aerial scorestreaks. 
I like the boost to the Bazooka's projectile speed, I can now consistently hit recon planes from anywhere on the map. The damage nerf in my opinion is extreme, though I must admit I haven't used the Panzershreck yet, but the bazooka is virtually useless against infantry. The damage nerf is there to dissuade you from spamming a match with bazooka fire (which would happen as the launched basic training allows you to restock explosive ammo). I have to admit, I was that guy in MW2 spamming a match with RPGs so I can see why they're desperate to never create that situation again.

There is one addition that in my opinion is a bit "meh". And that is...

Blitzkrieg, is this what they wanted?
I'm no fan of the score streak system, it doesn't do enough to reward playing the objective and only forces players who are good at chaining kills to chain even more. The addition of Blitzkrieg is only of benefit to people who are score streak hunting and are good at it. The odds are, they were probably pretty good at doing it before. Requisitions should not be here, especially in light of this new basic training. 
I preferred the way they handled things in Infinite Warfare, where you modified streaks and that affected their scores, but this is how they have decided to do it.

Overall, I'm very happy with the 1.3 update, it ticks a lot of boxes for me and brings the playing ground to a sensible medium. I don't feel like there is any crutch play going on yet, there are still far too much basic training skills and although a few of them have been removed, tweaked or completely altered, I find I still focus only a few basic trainings that are far more flexible. 

I'll really have to get on WW2 more often, now it's even more of joy to play and if you see the name Parabellum09 above someones head in Domination and they have a Luftwaffe Drilling resting in their hands, be afraid... Be very afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment