Wednesday 10 July 2019

Cluster Truck is a trucking lot of fun!


One of my favourite things about Game Pass is that it allows me to play indie games I never normally would have, I'm far too frugal and apprehensive when it comes to buying games. I guess that's what happens when you've spent the last six years in the blissful risk-free realm of renting games. But you can only rent games that have physical releases and then there are still some games that are so amazingly fantastic that I know in another five years I'll want to replay it, then five years after that, show it to my children and then thirty years later to my grandchildren and so on until I'm dead. What I'm basically saying; is that eventually I found renting games wasn't the best option for someone who wanted access to the broadest range of games possible. I may have ditched the rental service (for now, nothing wrong with the company just my tastes have changed), but in it's place I've fallen in love with the Game Pass. 
Now, what was I actually meant to be talking about? That's right; Cluster Truck. I think I do this with every blog entry, talking about the Game Pass or why I use it, it's like I have some misplaced guilt about the whole thing, but ignore me. I'm nearing mid-thirties and over think my gaming time.

So, I downloaded Cluster Truck after looking at a game to play with my children and since Cluster Truck doesn't involve blood, sex or drugs it seemed to tick the 'family friendly' box. Of course, when scouting for family friendly games, appearances can be deceiving. Whilst often innocent and cartoonish looking, I find these types of family games are often far too difficult for my children and are so frustratingly difficult or poorly made that I, as parent, end up cursing the air blue... Cluster Truck falls into the former category of difficulty. A simple premise of jumping from one truck to another complicated by avalanches, pendulums, missiles and worst of all; RNG. Each level is a short mobile obstacle course that creatively imply where the end of a level is, celebrated with an enormous goal sign. (That after watching some speedruns has a rather questionable hit box). It's a lot like super meat boy, lots of variety, short levels but padded out with a uncountable amount of deaths that surprisingly do not dissuade the player from further attempts. 

If I had to make a ridiculous comparison for the emotions of playing Cluster Truck it's this: starting the game is like meeting someone that you immediately develop a crush on. You want to spend all your time with them, make up excuses to be with them and feed off every scrap of their being that falls off  of them. Finishing Cluster Truck is like finally hooking up with your crush. The sheen comes right off and you realise there wasn't a whole lot of depth to the person and in actuality, they're incredibly fucking annoying with their inconsistency and lack of personality. So you break up and move on, looking for something more engaging with greater depth, like Devil May Cry 5 or Final Fantasy 12 The Zodiac Age. 
I may have blurred the lines of metaphor somewhere there, but ultimately I'm hoping you have some clue what I'm talking about. To summerise, I loved Cluster Truck whilst I was playing it. I was bored and lacked any further motivation to play it once I finished it. 

I may have sounded awfully negative about Cluster Truck, but just like any crush it's a rewarding stage of development and there is still that sense of accomplishment like bedding your crush. Proving all the naysayers wrong and at least there's an achievement in Cluster Truck that's proof of my success... Yes, I am still talking metaphors, elements of my personal history haven't bled into this post. I assure you. Stop the discerning glances.

Thanks for reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment