Monday 1 July 2019

Doom 2016 on Game Pass.


When I rented Doom 2016 three years ago, I really enjoyed it. It was like a breath fresh air in the first-person-shooter genre that had become steeped in samey games that emulated call of duty or battlefield. Doom 2016 is a true modernisation of a classic title. It maintains the formula of it's predecessors but refines it and augments it with quality of life additions we're now accustomed to and also the benefits of modern technology. It looks great, sounds great and plays great. Whilst you will never see Doom 2016 have a perfect score on a Meta Critic or anything like that, I personally think it deserves a 10 out of 10 review score. If you loved Doom, you should love this.

I'm a recent advocate of the Game Pass Ultimate scheme Microsoft have released and I've got to say I'm digging it. Doom 2016 is part of the Game Pass plan, not sure when they added it but I'm glad they did. It gave me a chance to replay it again and I really got myself knee deep in. I 100% all collectibles and secrets! Something I pretty much never do in any game, though I have to admit. I did use a gameFAQs guide to help find everything. It can be pretty tough in some sections, even with a guide!

Play Doom 2016 and doing more than just running and gunning revealed to me just how much this new Doom has in common with the originals. I love how the team channelled that history and brought us this amazing game that plays so well.
If you enjoyed the original Doom for PC, or even looking for a first person shooter that is high speed and frenetic fun. Doom is definitely worth a go. One note of caution; if your favourite Doom so far was Doom 3. You may find Doom 2016 isn't quite what you're looking for. Whilst there is a coherent story and lots of lore to collect, it isn't quite the slow paced corridor shooter that Doom 3 was.

The Game Pass is great by the way, I used to rent titles, but the downtime between sending and receiving was a small gripe. You can always counter it by paying for a rental package that allows two games at a time and I would still recommend Boomerang to anyone whose on a tight budget but would like to play fairly recent games, I say fairly recent because as a general rule of thumb it would take about a month before I would finally receive a new game that I had on my list. You can try the priority package, but personally I didn't find it helped the situation much. Especially is there are more priority subscribers than not.

Another great thing about Game Pass is it often includes digital only titles which a service like Boomerang cannot offer, because of this I've been able to play some very interesting games. 
So if you're on Xbox and have £11.00 spare once a month, I heartily recommend the Game Pass Ultimate. It's Gold and Game Pass in one and works out a bit cheaper than buying the two separately.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment